The old farmhouse Laufás
Laufás is mentioned in historical records soon after the settlement of Iceland (874-930) and since the earliest period of Christianity a church has been located there. The existing church was built in 1865 and among its special items is a pulpit from 1698. The farmhouse was rebuilt in an ambitious style in 1853-1882 and is an example of the gabled farmhouse, although significantly larger than the ordinary Icelandic farmhouse. The oldest section of the present day house is believed to contain timbers from the 16th and 17th century. The Laufás farmhouse at present equipped with household items and utensils resembles those in use at the beginning of the 20th century.
At Laufás there is a souvenir shop and a restaurant serving Icelandic dishes.