Möðruvellir in Hörgárdalur was, in past centuries, the manor house of chieftains. The present church was built in the years 1865-67, after the old one burnt to the ground. It was built in the original style and is well constructed and dignified in appearance. After the conversion to Lutheranism, Möðruvellir became a possession of the Danish Crown. The first secondary school in Iceland was founded here in 1880, and was moved to Akureyri in 1902.